So you’ve finally decided to move forward with a television advertising campaign. Congratulations! You’ve got a ton of work ahead of you but if you plan your work carefully you’ll have no trouble at all when it comes to creating an effective commercial.
There are several important factors that contribute towards high-quality television advertising. Here are five tips I consider to be most important during the planning stages.
- Make sure your commercial has people in it, whether they’re real or animated. Human beings relate to seeing others and your audience will be more interested in seeing other people around/using your product than they would in seeing a shot of your building or the product alone. Make sure the people in your commercial look as natural as possible.
- Make sure you write out your script in advance. Improv is a beautiful thing but is often best left to professionals and comedians. Television advertising costs are high and time is money. Don’t waste time trying out lines that don’t work. Plan them in advance, film your commercial, and be done with it.
- Map out the scenes you want to have appear in your video as well. The average television commercial only lasts 30 seconds so you really won’t have time to show off your entire inventory or to discuss every product you own. Choose the best and most appealing products to feature in your commercial and worry about advertising the others later. Your potential customers should be able to SEE the products you want to sell even if they can’t hear the commercial.
- Be conscious of the time you’ve chosen. If you purchased a 30-second time slot than make sure your commercial is 30 seconds and not a second more. The station that airs your completed ad will only air it for 30 seconds and if your commercial is too long something will get cut off when the next commercial comes on.
- Last, but certainly not least is the call to action. Please do not forget your call to action. There’s really no point to advertising without it. Include a verbal name, phone number, and/or website address and make sure they appear in writing on the screen as well. Tell your prospects to call or email you. Make sure they know what you want them to do!
Television advertising can be extremely effective if done properly. Have fun creating your ad!